The house was originally constructed around 1900 in a typical Georgian style, with symmetry in plan and elevation. However, various extensions were made to the building pre-1947, breaking this symmetry, and leaving the overall cohesion of the layout and appearance were compromised. Other issues that needed to addressed included structural cracking, replacing services, improvement of thermal elements and repair of joinery. The ad-hoc extensions and run-down outbuildings were demolished, and replaced with a two-storey rear extension built across the rear of the property, providing space for a new kitchen on the ground floor and an en-suite bedroom on the first floor.
At the southern end of the property the house was extended with the addition of another 2-storey extension, constructed in the form of a ‘cottage’ alongside the main house. A glazed link will provides a ‘light’ connection between the extension and the existing house.
The existing garage was demolished, and replaced with a new timber, and the timber outbuilding at the bottom of the garden upgraded to provide a secluded guest room with en-suite facilities.